January 8, 2007

Lunchtime Walks


sierra's 411
Originally uploaded by threadandscissors.

I used to walk just for fun. Not necessarily to get anywhere, not because I didn't have a car, just because I wanted to. When I lived in Seattle, weekends would usually begin by walking to pick up coffee at one of the gazillion local coffee stops. From there, my roommate and I would walk up the hill, passing our favorite grocery store, and find the best little breakfast spot. Once there, we would order our usual; the Everyday Breakfast with an extra order of ham and two bloody marys made with half mix and half tomato juice to cut the spice...From there we would be happy, full and slightly toasted, just a perfect amount for a long lazy stroll through the neighborhoods back to our house. This whole venture would usually take us about 4-5 hours, and by the time we would get back home it would be the perfect time for a Sunday afternoon nap.

I stopped walking for fun when I left Seattle. I think part of the reason is that Eugene doesn't have much that I haven't already seen. This has the ability to make me sad if I stop to think about it for too long. I miss the city. One way I have found to remedy this has been my lunch time walks. I started walking last week for an hour during my lunch break, most days with my friend, but sometimes I go solo. I often head up through the beautiful neighborhoods of College Hill, a neighborhood full of fantastic older houses. Today I was on my way back down the hill when I realized that I was standing opposite my old backyard. It was strange to be walking and daydreaming and all of a sudden catch yourself strolling down memory lane over ten years ago.

While I was out I couldn't help but notice how great the weather was! Sunny and warm! Hard to believe snow is in the future...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home